Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Week 9 NYNYS

Hey there,

This week was super busy with the branch party and such. The party was definitely a success. I am very pleased how it all turned out. The missionaries and I were there for about 4 hours before the party continuing the set up. It was a lot of work, but it was a lot of fun. The party was centered around the cultures in the branch since many people are from the Caribbean, like Barbados, St. Vincent and so on. There was a ton of delicious ethnical food and many people came as well! The branch was impressed and I felt the branch unity increase as we all got together and simply had fun with each other. It turned out really well. I wish I would have gotten pictures, but I was just too stressed about it all!

One of the best "street-sweeps" we do is the Game Night in the subway at Bedford Ave. We set up tables with some brainteasers, Jenga, and to top it all off, one of the Elders brought his mini-practice-bull roping toy. We were there playing games and roping the bull in the subway! It was a pretty funny sight and it grabbed a lot of people's attention. As we tried to get the community familiar with us and to brighten someone's day, we had a few good conversations with people and gave out a lot of cards. We also posed for a few pictures as well! Game Nights are always successful for us. People are starting to see what we are all about.

We did some service at a church in Greenpoint and helped put away all their food that they didn't use for the soup kitchen that morning. As we were taking each case of 12 canned goods down the long stairs to the basement, I saw this dolly just sitting there. Thanks to my dad's delivery experience, and me helping him often, I grabbed that dolly, loaded it up, and started a human assembly line and got us moving! It was pretty fun. We are starting to develop a really good relationship with the leaders of this church. I had an idea of having a community church night where my companion and I get a few churches involved and have a night where each religion with share a brief testimony of Jesus Christ. It wont be a night about preaching our particular religious beliefs and trying to convert people, instead it will be simply helping people come unto Jesus Christ, and give back to the community. I think this will work out really well and will help the community get to know the missionaries in a place where they are comfortable (at one of their churches). I haven't quite got all the details figured out, but I will let you know what happens with that idea in the future.

So here is the awesome news! My companion and I are having a baptism this Sunday! I won't share specifics without his permission, but he has a very strong testimony and was introduced to the gospel by a co-worker. He is very excited about receiving the priesthood later on as well. We are very excited to have him in our branch. He fits in perfectly. One thing he noticed about the church, is that the members were so loving and actually lived their religion outside of church. Being baptized members, we covenant to serve others and stand as a witness of God in all places. People really see our actions and notice something different about members of the church. We are stoked for the baptism. He is very excited and prepared himself.

Love,

Elder Hooper

No comments:

Post a Comment