Monday, April 8, 2013

5 Months NYNYS (Week 18)

Hey Everybody!

I you enjoyed conference like I did last weekend! I absolutely loved all of Saturday's sessions. I received lots of insights on finding activities to do to help our area find more people to teach.

My new companion is Elder Kade Lewis. He is from Bear Lake, Idaho and has been serving for a year and a half. He has a lot of experience so I am looking forward to working with him. Before conference we have been doing a lot of finding activities such as "prayer tracting" (going around asking people if we could bless their home with a prayer) and street sweeps like a "Questions of the Soul" sweep where we each will have a sign that has a question and with "Ask me about it" underneath. Another idea is an Addiction Recovery street sweep for example we will have signs that say Q: "How can I overcome my __________ addiction? A: Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Ask me how." We also are thinking of doing a Family Proclamation street sweep too. People are actually quite interested in the street sweeps we do and it helps us as individual missionaries be fearless.

So for the Bushwick area, street sweeps seem to be very effective in the area right now so we are starting to incorporate those more often in our everyday finding activities. This is what our week's elliptical activities will look like: Tuesday: Games 3pm-4pm, Wednesday: Service Tracting 1-2p, Greenpoint Ref Church service 4-5pm, Thursday: BoM street sweep 3-4pm, Friday: Games 6-7p, and Saturday: Sports 11am-1pm and a Plan of Salvation street sweep 3-4pm.

On Friday we had a General Conference street sweep where my companion and I made some cards with the church's address and the conference times and went out on the streets under the Mytle-Broadway M/J train stop and told people that we are hearing from a living prophet! No one came unfortunately, but we did get 8 people's information to come and teach them more. We are actually visiting two of those people today!

My General Conference experience was great! I learned so many great things that pertained to the are that I am serving in. I also had lots of finding ideas and many other insights that are helping me become a better missionary. I wish I would have brought my notes to share a few things I learned. I do know that President Monson is a true prophet! I know that he and his counselors and other leaders are called of God. I just had this strong desire to have everyone come and hear General Conference. The people in New York really needed to hear what was shared in conference. I am really looking forward to teach others and help them know that there really is a prophet on the Earth just like Moses who parted the Red Sea and Abraham. After conference is great for missionaries out here in NY because we are now allowed to go out and proselyte without our suit coats!

I apologize that this email is so short! It was a pretty slow week as we simply did lots of finding activities and no teaching. Paula is still doing really well. She is continuing to read the Book of Mormon and loves it.

I love you all very much and look forward to hearing from you all soon!

Love,

Elder Hooper

P.S. April 14th is my 5 month mark! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment