Monday, April 1, 2013

Week 17 NYNYS - Transfer #4

I assume everyone had a great Easter! My Easter was good. I definitely did miss my family's traditions back home, but Easter in NY was fun. We had a baptism in our district as well that Sunday. We also were fed a delicious Bajan (Barbados) dinner last night.

It was definitely a difficult week for me. Lots of little things that added up. One thing in particular was my backpack being stolen! It was kind of my fault, but we were getting Mei Wei (Chinese food) by the church and I left my backpack there for about 20min. I went to go back a get it and it was gone. The workers there had no idea about any of it so it was obviously taken. My scriptures were in there, my camera, and lots of other little things that I used frequently. Thankfully it all can be replaced and nothing too valuable. It was just a disappointing. All these experiences are only for my good! I will be able to laugh at this experience 10 years down the road, and now I have an excuse to buy the 2013 edition to the scriptures in August.

I will begin my fourth transfer tomorrow! Elder McDonald is getting transferred so I will be getting a new companion. Elder McDonald was a great first companion and I am very grateful for all his help and love he showed to me. He helped me to know what being a good companion is all about. I will miss him, but I am really looking forward to a bit of change and new experiences.

I had a cool experience with a man at a park last week. His name is Ariel. I was sitting on a bench reading the Ensign, and I looked over and saw Ariel and had this thought that I needed to go talk to him. Immediately, my mind was saying nah you can just finish this article instead, but I listened to the prompting anyway and went and talked to him. I saw that he was crying and was able to talk to him about what was bothering him. I found out that when I had the prompting to go talk to him, he was praying to God asking for help. It was really cool to see the Lord use me to answer one of his child's prayers. I felt so uplifted after that as I was able to live up to my baptismal covenant, by "mourning with those that mourn, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort".

Paula, and investigator of mine, is doing so well! She is already almost finished with 2 Nephi in the Book of Mormon! I am proud of her desire for learning so much so quickly! We did get dropped by another family unfortunately. It has been upsetting to see another family not choose to act on our message, but I am only doing the best I can and doing what the Savior would do. Everyone has their agency and God chooses to honor it as well.

Oh yea, my landlord is the coolest guy ever! He came to our apartment this morning too see some things that he needs to get fixed and he saw that we had junky study chairs so he was like, "I am going to get you guys some matching chairs". Then 20 minutes later he calls us and says he is coming to our apartment in 10 minutes. He came with 2 brand new Staples office chairs that are super nice and comfortable. They are easily over $100 chairs. He is so cool!

I am sorry this is so short, but I am pressed for time this P-Day. It has been really busy since Elder McDonald has been packing and such! I am now going to woop on the other missionaries at ping pong!

Love you all!

Elder Hooper

No comments:

Post a Comment