Monday, July 29, 2013

Week 37, Stylin' Staten

Elder Tuiaki and I had a great week! We have found more people to teach and lots of good potentials. So to start off, I want to share a really funny story. you really had to be there, but I will try to tell it anyway. So in the morning when we were heading to an appointment, there was this lady on the side of the road next to her car with all the doors open and she was wearing this tan colored dress and she was just dancing like crazy! It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. This bus driver that was turning in front of us also was laughing at it. So we drove on the same street hours later, and there she is, still dancing! It was over 3 hours later. It was so funny.

Anyway, last Saturday night, we went to go and visit a less-active member, but we didn't have an apartment number so we decided to just knock some doors around the area anyway. The second door we knock on a couple opened the door and immediately let us in. They were saying that right that second they were talking about religion. They have had some difficult circumstances in the past few months and they have a strong desire to change their lives and set a better example for their children. We talked with them about the basics of our doctrine and they fell in love with it. They said this "my new church". They also came to church and loved it as well. They were taking the initiative to get to know the members too! There was a great spirit present as we taught them too. We talked about repentance and prophets and the Plan of Salvation. They loved it.

We had two of our Sri Lankan friends come to church as well. They also enjoyed it and we had a chance to teach them too. We are seeing a lot of success here. I think the next transfer (which ends next week) will have a few baptisms too. Staten Island is great!

We still have been going down to the Staten Island Ferry a lot to go and talk to people. That seems to be working the best for us.

The Lord has been blessing us with many people to teach, which has been a little scary, because that means I need to make sure that I am doing everything I can to have the spirit with me so I can live up to the potential that my Heavenly Father expects of me here in this area.

I am so sorry this is short. I keep forgetting to bring my journal with me. All the days feel like a blur and I forget everything. I absolutely love serving here in Staten Island. I promise I will send a better detailed letter next week I promise!

Love,
Elder Hooper

No comments:

Post a Comment