Monday, February 10, 2014

Week 65 - More Snow, Purple Hair, and Being a zone leader is a lot of fun!

This week was crazy! We taught a lot of lessons this week which was awesome. For half of them I was on exchanges with other missionaries. It felt like the week went by so fast. We got some more snow again last night it doesn't stop coming!

Being a zone leader is a lot of fun, but lots of work! I had the opportunity to be able to attend a Mission Leader Council with all the other zone leaders and sister training leaders, with the assistants and President and Sister Calderwood. My mission president is a stud. He was a starting safety for Northwestern University and he showed us a video of him on the news when he was playing and some highlights of his football career. The video was him being interviewed how he endured through Hodgkin’s Lymphoma attending a university, being married, and having 2 kids, and how his faith got him through it. He was talking to us about enduring to the end so he used his experience. Something that I never thought about before is how much missionary work has changed and how Christ has basically given a higher law or a "more excellent way" for missionaries today. Instead of flip charts and memorized lessons, which were effective at that time, now a more excellent way has been given, Preach My Gospel, lessons taught more by the spirit and we can teach anything that a person needs, and now to iPad’s, and online proselyting. We have been given a lot more commandments to live so we can have the complete influence of the Holy Ghost. It's cool! #thehastening

Remember that zone meeting I was explaining last week? It went really well! The spirit was very strong and all the videos that we made were awesome. All the missionaries loved it and we were all pumped up to find new investigators.

So when I was on exchanges with Elder Marca in my zone (his companion is the district leader) we got lost! He is also slightly new to the area so he doesn't know the buses very well either so we ended up getting lost and walking a ton! We ended up walking a mile and a half the wrong direction at one point! My legs were dead that night!

Ok funny story! So I just got my haircut and the guy cutting my hair (who is a member of the church) jokingly said "do you want me to curl your eyebrows?" And he laughed and I said sure and why don't you just throw in some purple too! So he goes into a back room after he threaded my eyebrows and grabs this purple gel stuff which I thought was just gel and he rubs it all into my hair and he shows me the bottle and it says purple color and my hair was just purple! I was freaking out! I was just like oh...my...gosh... I am going to literally going to have to go bald (I thought I had a few years left before it got that bad, haha!) I was just like dude you have to wash this out like now! He starts washing my hair and Elder Busby my companion is like ooh that doesn't look too good and the hairdresser guy is like trying to laugh it all away and what not and I just wanted to start crying! He says make sure to get lots of pictures and if your mission president gets mad just tell him I made you do it. He finishes and Elder Busby says well it is just a light purple and I slowly approach the mirror and.... My hair was just fine!! I was like thank goodness and to the hairdresser, I hate you man! Then he just starts dying laughing. The awful purple hair solution that I thought was going to be the end of my hair just turned out to be a color enhancer that is good for your hair! I was just freaking out! My heart is still pounding and it was 30min ago.

So there is a member that is going to receive her endowments for the first time and we get to go with her, we are super stoked! And hopefully next week there is another who is going to the temple, not for the first time, but for the first in a while, next week!

Well I gotta go!
Love,
Elder Hooper

No comments:

Post a Comment